Welcome to our website.
(A bit of history to start...)

Cours-de-Pile territory was inhabited since ancient times.

In several places, were collected, over the ploughing, many Flint tools, shards of size with some collected in Castanet, were given to the national Museum of the prehistory of Eyzies. They have been dated each over 300,000 years, other, newer, 7,000-year-old... about.

We need to wait the year 1365 to see our municipality, which is then only a parish history. Indeed it is at this date that found its name for the first time in a text in the form of: horns and Pilas. This name we indicates that there were two separate entities, horns and Pilas, probably once both parishes gathered after the year one thousand.
Course comes from Cohors, which in latin means the Court of farm and more generally the farm.
Pilae gave Pilas: batteries. There was in this place at the Gallo-Roman villa, which was at the origin of a possible parish during the arrival of Christianity in our region.

The name of batteries comes that Gallo-Roman rich were build high funeral towers in the family cemetery. These towers high, square, compact were laid on a base and ended with a short pyramid. These batteries are at the origin of this place name and the name of the castle which was built in the s 14th.

In the front of this castle, in the Dordogne, there were many rocks that within the bed of the river. There were so many that when the water was high enough to be commercial, the river current was a short waterfall: a jump here named du Peyrat. (Upstream of battery, is an another jump: jump of the gratusse).

In 1804, Prunis, sub-prefect of Bergerac, obtained from the general Council of the Dordogne sufficient credits to destroy these rocks, which greatly hindered the movement of vessels.
These rocks have given birth to a beautiful legend.

The legend of the Castle :
The first Lord of batteries wanted to have a bridge over the River, in front of his castle. The work was difficult, so he made a pact with the devil. If the latter built it this bridge in one night, before the cock crows, the Lord would give him his daughter, beautiful, unique and rich heiress. The Pact, the devil and the Devils began to work, ripping off the rocks of the hills of Creysse and Mouleydier.
Alas! To make this work it had chosen the time of year where the waters are low it means the month of June, but it is also the time of year when the nights are shorter. The crowing of the Rooster greeted the Sunrise of the star of the day, before the bridge was built. Rage, the devil and the Devils threw down the unfinished work and it is since that time, very distant, that the bed of the river is cluttered rocks.

In the 16th century the history of Cours-de-Pile is confused with the exploits of the huguenot Captain: Armand of Clermont stack, whose ancestors had bought the castle in 1460. The example of their Lord, many of the inhabitants had converted to Protestantism. Under the pressure of the Duc de La Force, which applied in bergeracois the policy of Louis XIV, namely the eradication of Protestantism, 250 inhabitants of the parish were reunited at the Castle and then notarized, converted to Catholicism through the delivery of ten years of annuity.
The present church was built by the Hospital of Saint-John of Jerusalem, sitting in Saint-Nexans end XIV, beginning of the s 15th. It took its current, neo-Gothic, appearance in 1869.
The Hospitallers were the wholesale decimation of the parish that is to say that they did charge ¾ of the tithe, leaving the priest as the meanest.
Until the Revolution of 1789, it was endless discussions, between successive cures and the owners about the share of the tithe that these last their were.

In the aftermath of the Revolution of 1789, is not without some emotion, that we discover early vital records, newly established, kept by the few farmers and craftsmen, our ancestors, who know how to write, often phonetically.
Catering, saw arrive at the head of the commune one bourgeois of Bergerac, Buisson de Sainte Croix, then Pigeard, father and son, succeeded one another during 60 years at City Hall.
The end of the 19th century saw the reconstruction of the Church, the construction of the Bell Tower, one of the boys school, the translation of the cemetery outside the village, the arrival of the railway.
The 20th century saw electricity in 1936, but the big concern of the municipalities of the era was the maintenance of the roads, which were all paved at the end of the century.
Today, Cours-de-Pile has all the facilities necessary to a commune in continual expansion.

Jean-René BOUSQUET (05/02/1931-04/03/2012)
Author of:
2003: Course of battery, side courses... side pile - chronic course piloises-the Church and the temple.
2005: Side... side battery-Chronicles quotes piloises - the defenders of the homeland.
2008: Side... side-batteries Chronicles quotes piloises - the Castle and Lordship of batteries.
2010: Chronic course of piloises - the glory of our mayors.


This service is used to secure web forms of our website and required if you want to contact us. By accepting it you agree to Google's privacy policy: https://policies.google.com/privacy